Sunday, January 14, 2007

They stoop to conquer?

I know this is off topic but please humour me while I have a little rant.

What depths will this government stoop to? Havent they learnt yet that people are on the lookout for the spin that whirls out of their offices... we have not forgotten no WMD.....
Take tonight for instance, thereI am sitting with my glass of wine relaxing watching the news and the anchor starts telling us about how lucky we are that new eggs will soon be available that cure cancer or something like that....Riiiiiiiight!

In what sounded very much like a company advertisement on a government funded station ( no advertising is allowed for the information of those not in the UK) the lead story then informed us that a research company (which was named but I won't give it any more advertising) had played around with the genetic makeup of some chickens to create these "super eggs" that were going to cure everything. Oh for goodness sake! Give us a break.

Honestly, would the person who thinks we viewers are totally credulous please stand up? Do you think we are going to not see through this "snake oil spin"? Why aren't we able to watch the news without knowing we are being manipulated? I am not a conspiracy theorist generally but every so often I widen my eyes in disbelief at the blatant spin that goes on.
The new headlines are transparently selling us genetically engineered foods.......
the scary thing is that most people will fall for their tactics. The headlines didn't say a company has been genetically modifying chickens despite there being concerns in this country..no, no, no instead the anchor said something like " eggs packed with wonderful healing qualities that may cure cancer" blah blah blah "will soon be available". It is my understanding that Americans lost the battle against genetically modified food some time ago but here in the UK we are still fighting to stop it going further than it has.

On the same day I read in today's paper that Blair's government is putting forward even more proposals to have access to personal data and personal information. They actually want to have access to people's private medical records...

Oh my....pass me the wine......

2 comments:

DAWN Literary Magazine said...

I'm with you all the way on this one, GM foods are amenace not only to ourselves but to the planet as well. They say these eggs will cure cancer but were'nt we told that eating eggs was bad for us and the cholesterol would kill us anyway? No win situation here, I think. I'm glad I've got my own chickens and know where my eggs come from.
As for Blair - words fail me. Orwell might have beeen bit out with his timing but it's comming....

Maggie Thornton said...

Hi Robyn, just a comment on electronic medical records. Here in the U.S., Former Speaker Newt Gingrich is pushing for this. I'm aghast! I like Newt a lot. I admit I don't know all the details of his plan but just the idea is spine-chilling.

I have absolutely no info on eggs:-)
Maggie
http://www.maggiesnotebook.blogspot.com